Monday, June 23, 2008

My lucky birthday...

Yesterday was my birthday ... it was a perfect day ...

...usually my birthday is marked with last day of school, total chaos, trying to get everyone together for dinner, hot weather...its never a nice calm day for me, someone ended up crying...so this year was different.

Martin and I went to Millbrook, NY -- about an hour north of us, to the Millbrook Winery. It has some interesting history -- the owner is John Dyson who had a successful career in government and business beyond grapes and wine. He was a Deputy Mayor with Rudolph Giuliani and returned to work with him fulltime after September 11 occurred. Before that, he was a cabinet officer in New York State holding the positions of Commissioner of Agriculture, Commissioner of Commerce and Chairman of the New York Power Authority. He also developed the "I Love NY" advertising campaign for the state. We had a nice tour of the winery and had a tasting of six different wines. We bought a few bottles, some awesome olive oil, and some nice wine crackers...

We were driving down the road from there and made a quick turn into the Bowen Barn in Stanfordville, NY...it looked like a cute/quirky place...as a matter of fact, the primary reason we stopped is because it looked like the type of place that may have old stained glass windows, we are looking for an interesting one for the log house...they had everything from old farm tools to hats, to furniture, to just about anything you can imagine! It was a multi-roomed "museum" although the owners were saying as we walked in the door - we aren't a museum, we don't charge admission, but we can't hold things for people forever...we are in business....LOL! As we were wondering around, THERE IS WAS!!!! A full set of multiple pieces of brown/white transferware -- the Royal Mail Myott pattern ... anyone who has heard the story knows that once before I had my eye on 100 pieces, and I let it go...and then I dreamed about it for months before calling the store only to find that it just sold the day before...It wasn't marked, so as I held my breath throughout the rest of the wandering around the store, I asked the owner "How much?"... and then I held my breath some more as she counted 65 pieces... and meekly said "$95?"...I couldn't get the words out fast enough! I said I'LL TAKE IT!!! Marty and I scrounged for cash (we are the two biggest non-cash carrying individuals that walk the earth). We were $7 short after tax, so he ran down to the local gas station to the ATM and got more money as we wrapped the pieces up! It was the PERFECT birthday gift! I smiled all the way home! When we got home, we discovered there are about seven different variations of the pattern in all the pieces, and few shadings of colors from light brown to almost black. Today I went online and found that the two coffee pots included in the set sell for $85 each ... and I learned a little more on the history of the pieces...I have service for 10 (actually 11 on most of the pieces)...I'm so excited! Anyone who says I'm difficult to buy for -- now you have no excuse! There is always a nice piece available somewhere online...and we have a new passion while we are antiquing...

I'll leave you with this really cool picture of Bennett College -- it hasn't been occupied in several years -- I thought it was such an interesting building.

1 comment:

Sandi Keene said...

Happy Birthday Sara!

How wonderful that you found your coveted dinnerware set! Sounds like a fabulous day.

Any chance there will be a picture of dishes?